Surgery Selection Criteria
Am I a Candidate?
There are a number of widely accepted criteria which make a patient suitable for Bariatric or weight loss surgery:
- A major sustained weight problem
- BMI > 40 by itself or >35 if there is an associated obesity illness, such as diabetes or sleep apnoea
- Reasonable attempts at other weight loss techniques
- Age 18 +
- Obesity related health problems
- No major psychiatric or drug dependency problems
- A capacity to understand the risks and commitment associated with the surgery
- Pregnancy not anticipated in the first two years following surgery
There is considerable flexibility in these guidelines. Patients as young as 12 have been offered surgery.
Sometimes a lower BMI between 30-35 is accepted if comorbidities exist.
Take the Test
What is your Weight? (Weight in Kgs)
What is your Height? (Height in Feet & Inches)
Are you Diabetic?
How long have you been struggling to control your weight?
Do you have High Blood Pressure (Treated or Untreated)
Please Contact Melbourne Bariatrics on 03 9770 7189 for more information or to make an appointment